My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord!
I don’t have a lot of details, because the meeting was very rushed, and I wasn’t able to be present. Fr “M” said he would call me to fill me in, but he did mention that it was very positive, and that Bishop “J” asked for a written letter, I guess you could call it a letter of recommendation. With that letter the bishop would write a letter to the General Director of the Congregation and to the Holy Father stating that he is willing to accept me in his diocese. I will post updates as I know more.
Rejoice with me in the Lord!
===== UPDATE 7/9/2010 11:00 AM =====
This morning I spoke to Bishop “J”. Here is an update of what I can expect in the near future.
First of all, the Bishop asked me a few questions to clear up any doubts he had. Secondly, he asked my superiors for a written letter which he will present, along with my letter asking to enter the diocese, before his council on August 19. At that point he will get in contact with me to decide where would be the best place to put me in his diocese.
Next I called my superiors. They confirmed all that the bishop had said and are more than willing to cooperate. Given that there is more than a month to go before the Bishop can move on this, I asked if they wouldn’t mind me visiting my family. The answer was an immediate yes. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will be traveling next week to see them.
Just a few words on what will happen next. The bishop made it very clear that he would be receiving me “ad experimentum”, a period of exclaustration. What does that mean? As all things in the Church, it is a period of prudence where a religious can experience life outside the religious congregation, a period to make sure the decision made by the religious is not a rash decision. It is also a time for the bishop to get to know the priest he is accepting and to better place him in the diocese. During this time I would be juridically bound to the congregation but living as a diocesan priest. At the end of that period, which I imagine would be one year, a formal petition would be made for the dispensation of the vows.
===== UPDATE 7/10/2010 10:00 AM =====
If all goes well, it looks like I will be able to fly out on Tuesday the 13th. The image of mom doing backflips in the comments is priceless.